Friday, January 13, 2006

"Why Is My Face On TV?"

According to one of the local news channels,
"A 23-year-old Southeast man has been charged with felony murder in the death of retired New York Times reporter David Rosenbaum.

"For detectives, the arrest couldn't have been much easier.

"At 5 p.m., news stations in DC ran surveillance video of a man using Rosenbaum's credit card minutes after the Jan. 6 attack in a Northwest neighborhood.

"Around 6 p.m., police say, Michael Hamlin walked into the 7th District police station 'inquiring why his face was on television,' said DC police Detective Anthony Paci...."
Video reports are available here, in the left sidebar.

The Washington Post provides this additional information about Hamlin's visit to the police station:
"Hamlin walked into the police station last night wearing the same dark jacket, with his first name sewed onto a chest patch, that he had been wearing in a surveillance tape, police said."
Hamlin is due to appear in court today.

It's been a strange week for crime news in D.C. Recently Marion Barry told a suspicious story about a mugging in his home. Barry's not wanting to prosecute his muggers led to wide speculation as to the circumstances; the revelation that, last fall as part of a plea agreement to failure to file accurate tax returns, he tested positive for cocaine seems to support some of that speculation. From the Washington Post:
"The news that D.C. Council member Marion Barry failed a court-ordered drug test in the fall drew sighs, prayers and a call for him to take a leave from his council seat. But at his old haunts and among his constituents, what was missing yesterday was a sense of surprise.

"For many, this is the fourth decade of the sometimes rocky, sometimes inspiring marriage between Barry, the former four-term mayor who now represents Ward 8 on the council, and the residents of his adopted city. If there was one feeling, it was an amalgam of sadness, empathy and deja vu....

"'He cannot help people in Ward 8 until he helps himself. That should be his number one priority,' said longtime activist Phillip Pannell, who suggested Barry take a leave of absence from the D.C. Council. 'He needs to be away from politics, away from the phone and staff, and deal with his health situation.'

"Others, however, said Barry has been productive in the last year, advocating for the city's poorest ward....

"If Barry is incarcerated, he would not have to give up his council seat and could even introduce legislation from his jail cell, but he could not cast council votes, according to D.C. Council rules.

"Barry would have to relinquish his council seat only if convicted of a felony, said Charlotte Brookins-Hudson, the council's general counsel. Barry pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor tax charge...."
During Barry's mayorship, he came under criticism for awarding government contracts to those who had never before had much money, but probably didn't take money for himself. After all, the last time he ran for office, in 2004, he needed the salary.

Certainly Marion Barry's latest troubles are not as serious as those of Michael Hamlin. Barry is ruining his own life, but Hamlin viciously murdered a man who was just trying to go for an after-dinner walk. Surviving for a few short days, Rosenbaum died of blunt-force trauma.

I can muster some sympathy for Barry, possibly in the grip of addiction. I can't do the same for a cold-blooded murderer--and a stupid cold-blooded murderer, at that.

21 Comments:

At 1/13/2006 9:22 AM, Blogger LA Sunset said...

Sounds like a bit for the show, "What Were You Thinking?".

 
At 1/13/2006 11:08 AM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Duck,
Yeah, Barry is a soft target. But having had both members of my family and some acquaintances caught up in the lure of crack addiction, Barry's situation points out the persistence and insidious hold of the crack pipe. Serving in the public limelight doesn't help, IMO.

I don't listen to Limbaugh, so I don't know what his position will be. But I DO know that those addicts who are in recovery are hard as nails on those still using.

 
At 1/13/2006 12:13 PM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Samwich,
The TV series Commander In Chief is actively promoting the candidacy of a woman President. A substantial economic downturn might very well put her into the Oval Office. Isn't it a pattern that the opposing political party wins during the beginning of a big downturn, or in the middle of an economic depression?

You might address the question of how the upcoming depression differs from the Great Depression.

Pardon my lack of being informed here (I've spent the last several hours trying to sort our Blogger issues, and my brain is mush!)...Has the inversion of Treasury notes already happened?

 
At 1/13/2006 1:03 PM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Duck,
I'm not sure that we've seen the last of Marion Barry. I've thought so quite a few times, but he rises like a phoenix from the ashes. Of course, he's pushing age 70 now, and his health and advancing age are against another of his comebacks.

For all my complaining about Marion Barry, I confess a certain sympathy for his situation. I explained why earlier. But his remaining in public office amounts to enabling him and further contributes to his problems.

 
At 1/13/2006 2:02 PM, Blogger (((Thought Criminal))) said...

Hillary Clinton has so much baggage that the public release of the Barrett Report will probably kill her Senate re-election bid later this year. If she does pull off a win, it won't be by much. There just aren't that many crack smokers in New York City. Hillary Clinton's greatest obstacle to winning a Presidential election stares her in the face every morning she shaves in a mirror.

A Mitt Romney candidacy violates every strand of conventional wisdom concerning American politics. Do we want the governor of one of the most heavily taxed, Byzantine big government leftist states, particularly one the size of what most states call "counties," to be President because "he's not Hillary?" Big whoop. So was Michael Dukakis.

But I don't see Romney making it much past the laughter at RNC Headquarters when he makes his candidacy "official."

 
At 1/13/2006 2:04 PM, Blogger (((Thought Criminal))) said...

But, I'm biased, being a 2008 candidate myself.

 
At 1/13/2006 3:42 PM, Blogger (((Thought Criminal))) said...

I'm still waiting for my Halliburton stock to skyrocket, given all the leftist advice that that is where the money's at.

[sarcasm]

 
At 1/13/2006 6:36 PM, Blogger Dan Zaremba said...

After watching the video and reading the story I am still not sure if it all accounts to the fact that most crims are dumb or because only the dumb ones get caught.

 
At 1/13/2006 9:05 PM, Blogger LA Sunset said...

Alright, who turned the lights out?

I thought I'd gone to the wrong blog. Hell, I even thought it was mine for a split second.

LOL

 
At 1/13/2006 10:29 PM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

LA,
Yeah, I changed the template. I couldn't get email notification of comments to work any longer at the other template. Various gurus advised contacting Blogger (That's a joke! All I got back were automated responses!) and/or changing the template.

I knew that this template is just like yours and nearly like Mustang's, but I just couldn't find another template I liked and that would work with my tired eyes.

I spent hours putting in the custom features. The task shouldn't have taken me so long, but I'm not used to working with templates.

Anyway, you and Mustang have great taste, so I went with this look.

 
At 1/14/2006 12:34 AM, Blogger (((Thought Criminal))) said...

So does comments notification work for you now? Mine stopped working too a few days ago, and we're both AOL users. Maybe it's a conspiracy.

 
At 1/14/2006 5:32 AM, Blogger LA Sunset said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better I don't get e-mail notification anynore either. Must be a glitch with Blogger. Since it is free, I don't bitch much.

This one looks good though. I just opened your blog and was expecting white and got dark. Kinda freaked me out for a split second.

 
At 1/14/2006 6:55 AM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Beamish & LA,
Your comment notification stopped working too? I suffered through hours of torment with the template for nothing?

What prompted me to do something was that a friend notified me that posted comments were coming back to him as "sender-unknown."

I finally got around that glitch by changing the email notification to a Yahoo account. You might check out that possibility. From what you're saying, I think the problem is with the Blogger/AOL combination. Argggghhh!

Oh, well, I was thinking about changing my template anyway.

 
At 1/14/2006 8:50 AM, Blogger (((Thought Criminal))) said...

Google owns Blogger, and they bought a stake in AOL. I don't know why this would mess up how Blogger works.

But it's probably a conspiracy.

 
At 1/14/2006 1:39 PM, Blogger Mike's America said...

I noticed the post finally picked up one of your links and linked back to you on this story.

I was wondering if maybe they had not earlier since you usually reference the "print edtion" article online.

And here all along I thought I was special!

 
At 1/14/2006 5:18 PM, Blogger American Crusader said...

Good old Marion Barry. He could probably still run for reelection in DC and get reelected.

 
At 1/14/2006 5:26 PM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Mike,
What? I'll contact you to clarify.

 
At 1/14/2006 5:27 PM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Crusader,
Yep. Barry gets elected every time.

 
At 1/14/2006 6:55 PM, Blogger Mike's America said...

AOW: Post has your link on the Barry story on their page (NOT the print edition online page that you used):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/11/AR2006011101796.html

They did register your link in the Technorati report on the other story (keep hitting: Show all blogging) until you get to the Technorati report.

P.S. Starting the first of the Reagan updates tonight.

 
At 1/14/2006 8:36 PM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Mike,
I convert WaPoarticles to print-out mode so that I can use them more easily. Thanks for pointing out the link on the newpaper's web page. I'd never have known otherwise.

My Reagan essay goes up in a day or two.

 
At 1/15/2006 9:43 AM, Blogger Northern Virginiastan said...

Congratulations! You got noticed by WaPo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home