Thursday, February 23, 2006

Birthday Weekend

Time to celebrate! I just love it when my birthday falls on a weekend. Depending on the extent of the celebration, I may not be surfing the blogosphere as much as usual.

This week, Woman Honor Thyself tagged me; her responses are here. Because I'm preparing to celebrate my birthday, I'm in an magnanimous mood, so I won't tag anyone else. But if you like, you can list your songs in the comments section. Or you can tag someone else.

Here's the tag info:
List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they're any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now. Post these instructions in your blog along with your seven songs. Then tag seven other people to see what they’re listening to. Just link here and trackback when you make your list, and tell the folks you tag to do the same so you can enjoy their posts.
I don't listen to as much music as I used to--I'm into audiobooks now. But here are seven of my all-time favorites, in no particular order:

1. "The Hawaii Five-O Theme Song." Ah, Hawaii! Wish I were there.

2. "This Ole House." A real oldie by Rosemary Clooney. It was the first top-hit I learned the words to. I didn't have much choice; my parents, my grandmother, and I were stranded in a beer joint in West Virginia during Hurricane Hazel. I really love the honky-tonk piano and that bass singer.

3. "Waitin' on a Sunny Day." From Bruce Springsteen's CD The Rising. Crank it up, and take the top down on the Mustang.

4. "Ode to Joy." J.S. Bach. I love every arrangement I've ever heard--symphonic, organ, piano, or rock. In fact, listening to any Bach piece makes my brain work better.

5. Appalachian Spring. I never tire of the mood which Aaron Copland was able to create in this piece. The sounds take me back home, to a simpler time.

6. "No Tears in Heaven." The Eric Clapton one, as opposed to the old spiritual. I first heard this piece at a baby's funeral, so the piece has special meaning for me. I have a particularly good piano arrangement and can play it resonably well.

7. "The Door Is Still Open to My Heart." The first Dean Martin song I ever heard. His velvet voice blends well with the strings. The beat is updated pop-country.

Keeping the list at only seven songs is tough! I didn't even get to CCR, The Doors, Henry Mancini, Scott Joplin, and Beethoven--just to name a few.

22 Comments:

At 2/23/2006 10:52 AM, Blogger Jason Pappas said...

Quite a wide range in music taste! Happy Birthday!

 
At 2/23/2006 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday always! Okay, here are some of mine (in no particular order)...songs I'm CURRENTLY listening to...within he last week

1) Beethoven, Symphony #6 - the "Pastoral"

2) Carl Orff, "Carmina Burana" (O Fortuna & deriv's)

3) Andrew Lloyd Webber, "Bring Him Home" (sentimental favorite... my son has played Jean Valjean twice)

4) Yes, "In the Presence of"

5) Frank Sinatra, "Luck be a Lady"

6) JS Bach, "Brandenberg Concerto #2"

7) George Gershwin, "Rhapsody in Blue"

-FJ

 
At 2/23/2006 1:10 PM, Blogger (((Thought Criminal))) said...

Happy Birthday, AOW!

7 songs in regular rotation on the Beamish iPod Nano:

"Pet" by A Perfect Circle

"Rated X" by Miles Davis

"The Magnificent Seven" by the Clash

"Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

"Walk" by Pantera

"I'll Wait" by Van Halen

"An Evening with El Diablo" by Chevelle

 
At 2/23/2006 1:49 PM, Blogger kevin said...

Aow,
Like all true music lovers, you enjoy a variety of styles.

 
At 2/23/2006 1:56 PM, Blogger kevin said...

here's one of the my favirite concert momnent's ;
Joe Perry , the lead guitarist of Aerosmith, had a brief solo band called the Joe Perry Project.
We saw him in concert in a little club in San Diego, I believe it was 1979 or '80, right after the hostage crisis in Iran. Anyway, Joe walks up to the mike and says, " This song's dedicated to that F%*#er in Iran who outlawed music, and we're gonna play it load enough so they can hear it over there!" The crowd went crazy as the band went into "Let the Music do the Talking".

 
At 2/23/2006 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to youuuuu, happy birthday to youuuuuu, happy BIRTHday dear AOW, Happy birthday, to youuuu!

See, I can't write all the words from the fourth movement of Beethoven's Ninth, "Ode to Joy."

 
At 2/23/2006 3:32 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday Dear Always,
Happy Birthday to you!

Three cheers for Always!

Hip, hip, hurray!
Hip, hip, hurray!
Hip, hip, hurray!

How old did you say you were now?
Do I hear any advance on fifteen?

 
At 2/23/2006 4:34 PM, Blogger LA Sunset said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! May you have many, many more. Stay safe.

 
At 2/23/2006 7:22 PM, Blogger maccusgermanis said...

Happy birthday to an always graciuos host.

Here are a few of my favorites, though hardly appropriate for the occasion.

1) Gabriel's Oboe (Ennio Maricone)
2) And She Was (Talking Heads)
3) Decoration Day (John Lee Hooker)
4) Country Boy (Keb Mo)
5) In Your Eyes (Peter Gabriel)
6) Grinnin' In Your Face (Son House)
7) One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer (John Lee Hooker)

maybe #7 is appropiate if you don't overdue it.

 
At 2/24/2006 3:53 AM, Blogger beakerkin said...

Happy Birthday

I just got back from NYC . I miss being home but Spring is around the corner.

 
At 2/24/2006 4:18 AM, Blogger Mike's America said...

Happy Birthday!

And please don't tag me...

 
At 2/24/2006 2:36 PM, Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

awwwwwww u did it..yay!...Happy birthday to yewwwwwwww!.Happy birthday to u..happy birthday dear AOW..Happy birthday to u!!!!!..lolz

 
At 2/24/2006 2:37 PM, Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

oooooooooh..mah birthdays March 1..so Imma hopin I get some kewl surprises too..hehe Enjoy!

 
At 2/24/2006 3:51 PM, Blogger Dan Zaremba said...

Have a very Happy Birthday AOW!

Many happy returns!

 
At 2/24/2006 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, HAAAAAAAAAAAAPPY BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRTHDAY.

Have a lot of fun this weekend. ;))

 
At 2/24/2006 10:18 PM, Blogger Lone Pony said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! And MANY mooooooore!

 
At 2/24/2006 10:41 PM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Thanks, all!

 
At 2/25/2006 1:41 AM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

The only song *I* want to talk about is the 'Happy Birthday Song'!!

Happy Birthday AOW!!!

 
At 2/25/2006 10:05 AM, Blogger gandalf said...

Happy birthday to you
happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear allways on watch
Happy birthday to you.

Your birthday is the day you came into being.

 
At 2/26/2006 2:55 PM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Bld,
birthday greetings and good health, sir!

Make that "ma'am," and you'll be right. (No offense taken)

Thanks for the good wishes.

 
At 2/27/2006 12:47 AM, Blogger Esther said...

Hope it was a great one, AOW! Great song choices! I'll add mine here for you. :)

1. Hallelujah, mostly the Rufus Wainwright version on Shrek but any version will do, actually.

2. Over The Rainbow, the version sung by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

3. Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen

4. I Will Remember You, Sarah McLachlan

5. Just to be weird, I'll add, "Is This Love" by Whitesnake

6. End of the Innocence by Don Henley

7. Stand Back by Stevie Nicks

 
At 2/27/2006 6:12 AM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Esther,
I'd have tagged you. But I know you're really busy these days.

Thanks for providing your list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home